Sustainability Business Practices is a consulting company that assists public and private sector organizations and businesses to implement and integrate sustainability best practices into their administrative and operational processes to improve decision making and create long term environmental, social, and economic sustainability performance and impact.
These sustainability best practices include those for Administration and Management, Design and Engineering, Marketing and Sales, Operations and Manufacturing, Information Technology, Supply Chain Management, and Finance and Accounting can be found in the book Sustainability Demystified- a Practical Guide for Business Managers and Leaders.
Examples of sustainability projects and services include:
- Development of sustainability assessments for Grand Valley State University
- Development and integration of sustainability planning for the City of Grand Rapids
- Advancement of sustainability standards and certification for the Business Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association
- Completion of sustainability progress and impact reports for Grand Valley State University and the City of Grand Rapids
- Establishment of sustainability collaborations and partnerships for the Grand Rapids Community Sustainability Partnership
- Improvement of local resident and community based healthcare for Seeds of Promise
Norman Christopher is a seasoned executive with background and experience in various management capacities including President, CEO, and COO responsibilities. He has improved business performance at major chemical companies including Haviland Enterprises in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He recently retired as the Executive Director for the Office of Sustainability Practices at Grand Valley State University, where sustainability is one of the University’s core values.
Currently Mr. Christopher serves on the board and advisory groups of Seeds of Promise, Valley City Sign, and the Sabal Pointe Condominium Association. Additionally, he has also contributed numerous articles and papers to journals and periodicals. Submitted book chapters include Sustaining Michigan: Metropolitan Policies and Strategies, Michigan State University Press; and The Handbook of Sustainability in Management Education, Elgar Publishing. He is the author of the book Sustainability Demystified! – A Practical Guide for Business Leaders and Managers.
TEDx Presentation: "Gusty Blowing Winds"
SBP principal Norman Christopher was honored to be selected to present at TEDx in Muskegon, Michigan.
GVSU – Seeds Of Promise: Transforming Neighborhoods By Empowering Residents
Community Stakeholder and Neighborhood Resident Strategies for Community Revitalization
Christopher inducted into Sustainable Business Hall of Fame